Palácio da Pena

Palácio da Pena originated in 1839, when the king consort D. Fernando II acquired the 'Our Lady of Pena Monastery' ruins to adapt it to a palace. The original building, once occupied by the Jerónimos monks, dates from 1503. The main facade of the convent was kept and so was the church and cloister, whose galleries are covered with tiles placed there around 1520.

Being born in Germany, D. Fernando II brought to Portugal the romantic Germanic architecture. The palace, a project of the Eschwege Baron, is inspired by Bavaria’s palaces and brings together Moorish, Gothic and Manueline influences.

In the 90's, the palace faced significant restoration and the most important alteration can be seen from afar: the yellow and pink exterior. Although it shocked the inhabitants of Sintra, used to seeing it 'dressed' in grey, the truth is that these were the original colours of Pena Palace!

The fourth most visited national monument in Portugal is furnished with pieces of the period and the visitor can enjoy wonderful views of the surrounding areas from the verandas.

autos en

Banner
Please update your Flash Player to view content.